Thursday, September 11, 2008

Doctor Egg

I couldn't post twice yesterday, and I wanted this under another heading.  My cousin, Anna, had a baby yesterday.  They decided to be surprised and not find out the sex of the baby beforehand.  I think that's actually really fun, but I don't know if I would have the willpower.

I don't have any brothers or sisters, so my cousins are kind of it.  We were all raised together and they all still live in/near Perry.  Anyhoo, with the other cousins' babies, I found out by phone on a) the way home from the beach, b) at college between classes, and c, d and e) at the office in Atlanta.  I was so excited to actually be there for the birth.

The baby was either going to be Suzy Anna or Edward Weston Barnett.  I had a big hunch that it would be a boy, mostly because Suzy is my very favorite girl's name.  Everyone swore Anna was carrying a girl, but I had a dream right before Easter that Anna had a little boy, and it was shortly thereafter that they told everyone they were pregnant.

Anyway, Ed Barnett (future mayor of Perry or realtor) was born yesterday (ha ha!) at 2:20 pm, weighing in at 5 lbs 10 oz.  He was 19 1/4 inches long.  He looked so sweet and started sucking his thumb immediately.  He looks a lot like his big sister, Sally, did when she was that tiny.  

Anna looked beautiful, and I'm fairly sure she was wearing lipstick and makeup the entire time. I choked up and had to walk/look away several times because it breaks my heart that I won't get to watch him do all of those great baby things.  But when he's 25 (and I'm 50!), I'll be able to say: "Ed, I remember when you were born.  Everyone was sure you were a girl, but I knew that you were a boy!"  

Big Sister Sally was there, and she misunderstood when we told her that baby Ed was seeing the doctor, and she could see him in a minute.  She called the baby "Doctor Egg", which, in our family, means that will probably be his nickname for time immemorial.

My younger cousin, Lauren, is also having a baby in November, so I'm pretty sad that I won't meet Savannah Grace until next year.  I'll post some pictures of Baby Ed as soon as I get them.

No comments: